Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Déjà Vu

Déjà Vu - "having a strong sensation that an event or experience currently being experienced has been experienced in the past". This is the feeling that I get when I sit on the bench of my big loom. I remember going to see it and sitting on the bench before I bought it and having the same sensation. I am part way through threading the Civil War blanket sample. I find that activity relaxing. Yes, I've been here before. You will never like weaving if you can't enjoy the many processes of setting up the loom. I do know weavers that live for the finished project but ... you don't always get there or maybe your project doesn't turn out as expected. I think the process is what keeps me commited to handweaving which is a segway to my next project, an E-Book.

I am a yogini and soon to matriculate from my 200 hour yoga teacher training. I no desire to teach in a yoga studio. My yoga teacher training at Yoga Oceanside, http://www.yogaoceanside.com, has been invaluable to me in other ways. Part of my training is to do 5 hours of  "yoga karma" which could be anything you can  think of that "gives back" some of the yoga wisdom I have acquired to anyone, anywhere, anyhow. I came up with the idea of publishing an E-Book on "Yoga for Handweavers" to be available to anyone who wanted to buy it. The focus of the book is to show ways that yoga can relax the weaver's mind and body and make handweaving more enjoyable and less stressful. I also intend to include information on handweaving ergonomics and ideas for modifying your loom to help avoid overuse injuries.The proceeds will go to support the "Flying-Eight" (link on right side of this blog) or a similar group that helps handweavers in the world. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Great idea. I would be interested to see if your perspective on ergonomics is similar to mine. :)
    Cheers
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look to you as an example of a weaver that has had to get "right" with their loom. Many looms can't be modified, especially the bench which is not removable or adjustable. I want to address that. Basically you need to get comfortable when you weave and you need to take frequent breaks. That might seem inefficient but in the end if you damage yourself you won't be weaving anyway! Yoga teaches developing a strong core to avoid transferring tension to small muscle groups and the shoulders. There is so much to say.

    ReplyDelete